The draw station app connects the labs and the draw stations. We had expected that the new requirement would all be on the draw station side, because we understood the lab side: we were integrating into the existing inpatient specimen handling procedure.
Except for drop-offs: the lab folks decided that they would trust the phlebotomists to handle drop-offs via our app because the phlebotomists quickly demonstrated proficiency with our app. So suddenly every draw station was a potential drop-off point.
This greatly increased the tube traffic from the draw stations. Then the issue of tracking reared its ugly head as disputes arose between the three parties:
- the draw stations (origin)
- the courier (transit)
- the lab (accepting delivery)
- the ability to batch draws into shipments (the draw station app knows how to map orders into tubes)
- the ability to create a barcoded shipping manifest
- the ability to mark a shipment as delivered