Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Ew, Gross: Why Good Engineering is Sometimes Bad

I like to think of myself as a software architect and not a software engineer.

Engineers are often relieved by this, because they feel that I am not rigorous enough to be an engineer. Architects are often dismayed by this, because I don't wear pleated pants or style my hair.

The practical difference is that I feel comfortable in the creative, design end of things, which means that I often get called in when the engineers have failed.

Sadly, I have come to understand that much of the time, this failure is willful: while I may or may not have vision unmatched by most engineers, I certainly have a willingness to change dirty design diapers. The failure of the engineers, if you listen closely, is often really the sound of a young teenager saying "Ew, gross!"

A function for which I am paid, but which I do not particularly enjoy, is Engineer-to-Management translation. "Why do my IT people say X?" I hear. I try to be diplomatic (for me), but more and more often the honest answer is "The obvious solution strikes them as distasteful, so they don't want to do it."

My favourite example of this was a programmer who embraced object-orientatin to an absurd degree: he re-implemented basic math on top of the native facilities. His code defined ten numeroid objects, '0', '1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8' and '9.' Of course he then had to define "addition," "subtraction," "division" and "multiplication" for these objects--what fun! His program gave the correct answer, but took 24 hours to run. Running with native integer support, the same program took a little under 8 hours. The programmer's response? "You resorted to an orthogonal formalism." That is the most learned-sounding "Ew, gross!" I have ever heard.

Other examples of holding my nose in the service of providing value include providing users with a dumb ASCII terminal long after such things had become uncool and yucky, or providing fax support despite the outdated nature of faxing.

Engineering is rule-based and rewards rule-following and so attracts rule-loving personalities. They tend to find rules comforting in addition to finding rules useful and productive.

The flip side is that, as a group, engineers are bad at value judgements. They are not inclined to break the rules and they certainly are not comfortable with solutions based on rule-breaking.

Alas, the real world--especially the clinical lab where we are trying to get it right very time--sometimes does not co-operate and requires us to pick best of a bad lot. Even worse, sometimes we need to pick any of a bad lot and get on with giving the users what they need and getting the job done.

Worst of all are the cases where the beautiful engineering is invisible to the users. All they see is that version 2 sucks worse than version 1, again. And again, engineering wants a cookie because version 2 has beautiful engineering and none of the rule-bending messiness that make version 1 so useful.


Sometimes engineering needs to get over itself and do what must be done. That is why I don't mind being scoffed at by hardcore engineers: they may be better at math, but I am better at recognizing when a rule is getting in the way of better solution. I know when to say "that is a good rule, that is a useful rule, that rule will keep you from tending to make a certain kind of mistake, but now is the time to break that precious rule."

No comments:

Post a Comment